The Clacton Half Marathon & 10k
Join us at the seaside for this cracking 10k and half marathon event!
This will be the seventh year of this great seaside event, which continues to grow in reputation. This is a true seafront race, taking place along both the top and bottom promenades, with plenty of holidaymakers and day trippers to cheer you on! Both races start and finish on the seafront.
The event is part of Clacton Carnival Week and in addition to the half marathon and 10k races, there is a Clacton Carnival Fun Run of around a mile, which will appeal to youngsters, families and those new to running.
Please note the following changes for the event and please read the codes of conduct below.
1. The first change you will notice is the start time. Rather than a single start time for all runners, we are operating a pre-booking system with start times available in 3-minute slots. People will be allocated a place on the start line according to their anticipated finish time, with the fastest runner lining up on the front of the start line.
2. Please arrive ready to run. There are no changing facilities and no facilities for left baggage – this is in line with UKA Guidelines.
3. A sterile area will be in force around the start line with strictly no access to anybody other than participants and race officials. Once you enter this area you will not be able to leave until your race begins. NO SPECTATORS WILL BE ALLOWED WITHIN THIS STERILE AREA.
4. Again, in line with UKA Guidelines, water, in sealed bottles, will be available at the finish and you will be required to collect it yourself from an unmanned water table – hand sanitiser and gloves will be available for you to use. There will not be a water station on the course. Please dispose of the bottles and other litter in the bins provided.
5. Again, in line with UKA Guidelines, no results, race prizes or awards will be available on the day. Results will be uploaded immediately to our website and emailed to participants. Race and age group winners will receive a trophy in the post after the event. Medals will be available to be collected at the event.
6. There will be toilet facilities at the start / finish area and these will be sanitised regularly. Please play your part by washing your hands thoroughly and using hand sanitiser before and after use.
7. Hand sanitiser will be available – please use it regularly.
8. You must maintain social distancing at all times – before, during and after the race. When overtaking another runner please be mindful of the space available.
9. Spectators are not encouraged to attend – but if they must do so, they should not congregate around the race start or finish areas.
10. Once you finish your race please continue to walk through the finish funnel and return direct to your vehicle – do not wait for friends or family.
11. Please read the Participants and Spectators Code of Conduct - Please observe the ‘Rule of 6’ and do not gather in large groups to discuss the race or take team photos.
There are prizes for the leading men and women, plus leading vet categories and teams (three to score) in both 10k and Half Marathon
Seafront opposite Fourth Avenue, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, CO15 5BL
With easy links by road, train, coach, Clacton on Sea is an easily accessible destination.
The Race Headquarters will be on the seafront opposite Fourth Avenue. The start/finish area will be on the promenade immediately outside the HQ and signs will be clearly posted to direct you.
The closest railway station is Clacton-on-Sea and it's roughly a mile from the station to the race HQ. Clacton-on-Sea railway station is 90 minutes from London Liverpool Street station.
The town is also served by bus routes operated by Hedingham. Termini include Colchester, Manningtree, Harwich and Walton-on-the-Naze. National Express operates coach services to/from London and Liverpool.
For those who wish to drive to the event, it is at the south-eastern end of the A133. There will be parking available close to the Race HQ and will be signposted. In addition, there is plentiful on-street parking and parking along the seafront. Please be aware there may be parking charges at your chosen parking location
The races are accurately measured and are classed as flat with one gentle incline and decline on each lap. The surface is tarmac or concrete throughout and your favourite road shoes will be fine.
This is a single lapped course for 10k runners, with half marathon runners completing 2 laps, both are suitable for runners of all standards, from those looking to complete their first event to seasoned athletes. Both races start and finish on the seafront.
The race will be chip timed
This event is fully licenced by UK Athletics and held under their rules.
Both races are suitable for experienced runners and beginners alike. The minimum age on race day is 15 years for the 10k distance and 17 years for the Half Marathon. There are no upper or lower age limits for the Fun Run
Race Number Information
Race numbers for the event will be posted out to you around 10 days before race day. If you enter the race within 10 days of the race you will need to collect your race number on the day from the registration desk located at Race HQ. No ID is required but please arrive in plenty of time so that the race can start promptly
As the event is run under UK Athletics rules and as the races take place on footpaths and the traffic-free Promenade, headphones are permitted. However, we ask that you have the volume low enough to hear marshal instructions.
The registration desk will be open from 7.30am and will be located on the seafront, opposite Fourth Avenue, Clacton-on-Sea CO15 5BL. It will be signposted.
Public Toilets and additional portable toilets will be located close to the Race HQ.
Baggage Drop Off
The Baggage drop off will be located next to the registration desk and will be open from 7.30 am.
There are plenty of cafes located along the seafront.
Water and Aid Stations
There will be two water stations on each lap (approximately every three miles) and at the start and finish. We will ensure that they are well supplied but runners, as always, have the option of carrying their own water bottles. We are happy to refill water bottles for you. If the weather is particularly warm, we may add a further water station.
Changing and Shower Facilities
There are no changing rooms or showers at this event.
As you cross the finish line please make sure you cross over the Chip Timing mat which will automatically record your official time against your race number.
Any runners wearing a bum bag around the course must be careful not to apply pressure to the timing chip on the reverse of your race number. This can cause a problem with the signals from the chip and may affect your race time. This also applies when starting/stopping your watch as you cross the line – please wait until you have crossed the mats before activating or deactivating your watch.
Signal Permitting- Live results will be available on www.nice-work.org.uk during the event and a full set will be posted online shortly after the event has finished. All athletes who provide us with a legible email address will also be emailed the final results on the next working day following the event. If you are missing from the results or need to report an issue, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First-hand event reviews from people who’ve been there, done that and got the breathable T-shirt, really help everyone choose their next event.
Write a review and you’ll be entered into a monthly draw to win a pair of running shoes of your choice from Pro:Direct Running.