Great South Run
Portsmouth, HampshireThe Pyramids Centre, Clarence Esplanade, Southsea, Portsmouth, PO5 3ST, UK
Sun 15th October 2023
1 charity place
WHAT WILL IT BE LIKE ON THE DAY?
ARRIVAL ON SITE
Plan your journey in advance, but please do not arrive more than 30 minutes before your scheduled start time Make sure you have the NHS Track and Trace app on your phone and check into the event using the QR code on your race number once you arrive Bring a face covering to wear before and after the race, bring hand sanitiser.
Read, check and read again our pre–event emails and communications for last minute advice and instruction.
Be considerate, taking part this year might not be about your P.B. As a running community we need to be aware and personally responsible when we run, so we can all enjoy the event while staying safe.
Maintain social distancing, look out for and adhere to all signage on course, at the start and finish Please use the multiple hand sanitiser stations around the site and when you see them Please use private transport where possible.
CAN I BRING MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY?
There is likely to be restrictions around spectators at the event, please check your pre-race emails and our websites for details closer to the time.
Plus, there’s a medal, exclusive finisher t-shirt and bragging rights at the finish line. There’s a reason 99% of runners say they’d recommend it to a friend – lots of reasons, in fact.
Join Team Alzheimer's Society
£200.00Booking for more than 1?
The Pyramids Centre, Clarence Esplanade, Southsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO5 3ST
BEFORE THE EVENT
We’re here to help you be your greatest, so before the big day you’ll get…
- Your personal run pack sent to you in the post, with your run number and timing chip
- Access to training plans to keep you on track
- Exclusive offers and competitions from our partners and sponsors
- Support and advice all the way up to event day
- Regular emails keeping you motivated and moving
- A huge supportive and inclusive social community on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to help you on your running journey
ON EVENT DAY
Other than all the good vibes, fitness and mental health benefits you’ll also get…
- Access to the free Great Run app to allow your loved ones to track your progress along the route as well as access to all event information
- Access to the Great Run information point for any last minute queries (or safety pins)
- Closed roads offering a safe running environment
- Food and drink options to refuel
- A shiny new medal, an exclusive finishers t-shirt plus a finisher’s bag filled with goodies
- Plenty of medical support all around our routes should you ever need any assistance
- A huge round of applause as you cross the finish
AFTER THE EVENT
Obviously you’ll have bragging rights for the foreseeable, but you’ll also get…
- Official event day photos available to view and purchase a couple of days after the event, so smile for the cameras!
- Your official result ready shortly after you cross the finish line
- Runners Rewards – access to special offers for participants, from our partners and sponsors as a well done.
How To Get There
Portsmouth has an excellent public transport system, so please consider these options wherever possible.
If you live in the Portsmouth area then please consider using the bus. For local travel information visit travelinesw.com.
A bike park will be available within the D-Day Museum car park. For further information and cycle routes go to visitportsmouth.co.uk and select the Visitor Information tab.
Park and Sail with Gosport Ferry - one of the easiest and most relaxing ways to get to and from the event is to take the short ferry journey from Gosport to Portsmouth Harbour.
Runners should plan to arrive in the city by 8:00 to allow plenty of time to get to the start.
There is a temporary event car park on Southsea Common at a charge of £10 per vehicle.
There are several other car parks away from the main road closures which will minimise your exit out of the city and are just a short walk from the main event site. For information go to visitportsmouth.co.uk and select the Visitor Information tab.
Starting and finishing on Clarence Esplanade in Southsea, the fast and flat course takes you through Old Portsmouth before entering the Historic Dockyard. Here you run past the Royal Navy’s current naval ships, and some of the most famous in the world – including HMS Victory, HMS Warrior and the Mary Rose museum.
After exiting the Dockyard you reach the halfway point on Winston Churchill Avenue, before making your way back towards Southsea Common, where you’ll complete the final two miles on the scenic seafront.
The course features charity cheering points, boost zones, bands on the run and unrivalled support from local residents and spectators.
See who else is doing this event