Ultra X 50 Azores
Ultra X 50 Azores is a 50km ultramarathon that takes place on the island of São Miguel, nicknamed “the Green Island”, one of nine volcanic islands based out in the mid-Atlantic that form the Azores archipelago.
Governed by Portugal, this wild and remote archipelago is characterised by dramatic landscapes, fishing villages, mountain trails, lagoons, and luscious green pastures. Due to the marine influence, the climate of the Azores is very mild for such a northern location and temperatures remain around 20°C all year round.
Individual Entry from£76 BOOK
Participants will be transferred via minibus from Ponta Delgada to the start line at 07:00 (approx 70 mins). Runners can deposit a drop bag at the start line, which will be available at the finish line. The 50km race will start at 09:00, one hour after the 125km race.
We anticipate runners completing the race in 5-12 hours. At the finish line, there will be food and drinks available to purchase. All competitors are then transferred via minibus back to Ponta Delgada from the finsh line (approx 30 mins).
1. Race entry
2. Transfers from Ponta Delgada to the start line
3. Transfers from the finish line to Ponta Delgada
4. Medical staff on course
5. Osteopathy staff on course
6. Drinking water at checkpoints on course
7. Ground assistance and full safety support
8. Digital copies of all images from event photographer
9. Individual/team rankings and ITRA points
10. Finisher’s medal
2. Any accommodation
3. Personal food, kit and equipment (see kit list below)
4. Comprehensive insurance (to cover cancellations, loss of items, injury etc)
5. Training costs
6. Spending money
7. Transport home for runners who are
disqualified or withdraw early
THE FOLLOWING EQUIPMENT IS REQUIRED BY RACE RULES:
1. Suitable running shoes
2. Suitable running socks
3. Running pack
4. Hydration system with capacity for minimum 1.5 litres of fluid
5. A durable water repellent and windproof jacket with taped seams
6. Protective hat/cap
7. Face mask (or similar face covering that covers the nose and mouth)
8. High quality head torch with spare batteries (red light capability recommended)
9. Watch (GPS advised but not mandatory)
11. Personal basic first aid kit, including: four safety pins, cleansing wipes, antiseptic spray or cream, plasters, survival blanket
12. Any medication required
13. Sun block (minimum strength factor 30, although 50+ is recommended)
14. Minimum of 800 kcal food reserve
15. Fully charged smartphone
Feel free to bring additional supplies, equipment, or personal items.
MUST BE CARRIED AT ALL TIMES DURING THE RACE:
• Running poles
• Electrolyte solutions
• Portable charger for watch/phone (there is no access to electricity during the race)
• Baby wipes, one pack of 60-100 (consider carrying whilst running for toilet stops)
• Shoes for the finish line (flip flops or similar)
• Normal clothes and toiletries for pre/ post-race and for travelling
• Local currency (Euro) for food and drinks at the finish line
Drop bags (which will be transported between the start and finish) must not exceed 6kg and must be waterproof (as mentioned in the Race Information Pack). To make kit checks more efficient, each food item must be labelled with the number of calories it contains. Food parcels which have been assembled by the participant must have a sticker estimating their calorie content. In line with our Sustainability Policy, participants must also label all disposable packaging with their bib number. Any packaging found littered will put the corresponding participant at risk of disqualification.
First-hand event reviews from people who’ve been there, done that and got the breathable T-shirt, really help everyone choose their next event.
Write a review and you’ll be entered into a monthly draw to win a pair of running shoes of your choice from Pro:Direct Running.