ABP Southampton Marathon, Half Marathon & 10K
The ABP Southampton Marathon is a 2 lap course that provides a flavour of all Southampton has to offer, from green parks to the shoreline, running Riverside and through some of the historic landmarks of the city too!
All distances Start and Finish in the centrally located Southampton Guildhall Square.
With a large and exciting race village as well as a Family Fun Run in the early afternoon, this is a great day out for everyone!
Our Covid-19 Guarantee will provide you peace of mind when entering our events. If national lockdown comes into place, the local area changes tier, or the Government rules change again, we will have plenty of options on offer for you, including a full refund of your entry fee (minus the Active processing fee).
Health and safety is always the utmost priority at our events at all times, and this now includes Covid-19 safety and ensuring that your event is secure. We have been one of the few event organisers who have been able to put on an event during the pandemic – whilst these 2 events were small scale, they were entirely Covid-19 secure and the learnings that we have been able to take from successfully running a safe event during these times has been paramount.
Throughout our event planning we will closely follow advice and guidance from key stakeholders including the local Council, Emergency Services, Medical Director, National Governing Bodies and Government legislation and advice. Our Covid-19 trained Event Directors are working to ensure that we take all appropriate steps to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved in our events.
We are aware that the Government and local guidelines can change very rapidly between now and our event so we are planning for ALL levels of guidelines and restrictions to make sure we are compliant with all Covid-19 regulations at a minimum. We will make sure to update this webpage and send further information directly through to our participants 2-3 weeks ahead of the event date, with final updates and details 48 hours before.
Measures include, but are not limited to the following (all subject to change):
– To help manage flow of runners around the race village and for the staggered start times we will allocate you with a pre-designated entrance to gain access to the race village
– Hand sanitiser stations around event village
– Requirement to wear face coverings (unless exempt) whilst travelling around event village
– One- way flows through the event village
– Reduction / prevention of spectators
– Reduction / removal of bag drop facilities
– There may be reduced runner services at the event (for example removal of massages, baggage drop etc)
– Potentially implementing waves with staggered start times / an open gantry policy (this does mean that the starts will take longer than usual, we thank you for your patience)
– Runner guidelines will be issued ahead of the event for reminders of how to stay socially distanced whilst out on the route
– Enhanced hygiene measures at all water stations – with potential to remove these entirely if guidelines / Governing body advice suggests to
– The event will have enhanced medical cover to cater for the most up to date guidance for mass participation events in outdoor spaces
– Your run timing chip is unique to you – from this we are able to see who is on the course at different times. This will assist with NHS Track & Trace details. Please do NOT swap your number or use someone else’s number – this is dangerous at an event in a normal situation (as it means that we don’t have your medical information or emergency contact details), and it is now also going against Track & Trace rules.
– Self-serve style collection of Finisher items such as Finisher tee and your well-earned medal!
Will the event run on the advertised date?
Yes, we still fully expect the event to run on the advertised date (Sunday 5th September) in 2021 – the event has already moved from it’s original April date and we don’t anticipate a further move. Should there be a lockdown / our local area moves into a higher Tier closer to the event, then we will re-evaluate – health and safety is our top priority.
What happens to my money if the event gets cancelled or postponed and I can’t make the new date?
Don’t worry – if our event needs to be postponed or cancelled entirely then we have several options available to you. You will be contacted in advance and all you need to do is let us know your preference so we can action this for you:
- DEFER – You can defer for free to the ABP Southampton event in 2022 or even 2023
- TRANSFER – You can transfer your registration across to one of our other events (in 2021 or 2022) – this includes the Winchester Half Marathon, Winchester Triathlon or Southampton Sporterium
- VIRTUAL – You can transfer your registration to one of our many virtual events AND receive a discount code for the balance that you’ve paid (to be used on future events or in our ReesLeisure shop)
We understand that times are difficult for many at the moment and some other industries have been hit just as hard as the events industry. Therefore, if none of the above options are suitable for you and you would prefer a refund please do let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if my personal circumstances change and mean I can’t attend the event due to Covid-19?
If you or anyone you have been in contact with (in your household, social bubble or socially distanced meet ups) has been diagnosed with, or is showing symptoms of Covid-19, then please do not attend the event. There are numerous individual scenarios relating to Covid-19 that may affect you on event day including local lockdowns, notification from NHS Track & Trace or self-isolation etc. For this reason, we can’t create a rule for very scenario and ask that if you are unable to attend for individual circumstances (ie. not a local or national lockdown), that you will need to provide us with the relevant proof that you are in self-isolation (e.g. test results or Track & Trace etc). We will be as fair as possible and will make sure there are a variety of options on offer to suit everyone, and still allow us to operate the event.
An incredible race experience
Welcoming, friendly atmosphere
Beautifully designed, comfortable, technical moisture wicking Finisher's tee to wear with pride
Fantastic Finisher's medal
Accurate chip timing
This spectacular route begins in the city centre (with easy access, regardless of how you travel to the race village); before running past the ABP Southampton docks, over the famous Itchen Bridge with it’s glorious views out to the Southampton Waters, The Solent and the New Forest.
Following a section by the shoreline at Weston Shore, the return over the Bridge takes you actually inside the legendary St Mary’s Football Stadium (home to Saints FC!) Passing over Northam Bridge with riverside views again, you run through the beautiful Riverside Park before crossing into Portswood and running through the Southampton Common (home to the UK’s second largest parkrun!)
This then leads you into your second lap – now you know what to expect from the route, you can relax and enjoy the sights all over again before crossing the Finish Line, victorious and ready to receive your wonderful medal and Finisher tee.
This spectacular route begins in the city centre (with easy access, regardless of how you travel to the race village); before running past the ABP Southampton docks, over the famous Itchen Bridge with it’s glorious views out to the Southampton Waters, The Solent and the New Forest. Following a section by the shoreline at Weston Shore, the return over the Bridge takes you actually inside the legendary St Mary’s Football Stadium (home to Saints FC!) Passing over Northam Bridge with riverside views again, you run through the beautiful Riverside Park before crossing into Portswood and running through the Southampton Common (home to the UK’s second largest parkrun!)
This takes you onto the home straight where you can power through for a sprint Finish – cross the Finish Line, victorious and ready to receive your wonderful medal and Finisher tee!
This spectacular route begins in the city centre (with easy access, regardless of how you travel to the race village); before running through Queen’s Park, over the famous Itchen Bridge with it’s glorious views out to the Southampton Waters, The Solent and the New Forest. Following a loop round in Woolston, the return over the Bridge takes you just outside the legendary St Mary’s Football Stadium (home to Saints FC!) A nice straight run through St Mary’s and using the underpass, you then pass by some more of the city’s green areas with partners, Solent University on the other side.
A final loop round takes you onto the home straight where you can power through for a sprint Finish – cross the Finish Line, victorious and ready to receive your wonderful medal and Finisher tee!
First-hand event reviews from people who’ve been there, done that and got the breathable T-shirt, really help everyone choose their next event.
Write a review and you’ll be entered into a monthly draw to win a pair of running shoes of your choice from Pro:Direct Running.