White Heather Hotel, Kirkbride, Wigton, Cumbria, CA7 5HW
Sun 21st July 2019
The route starts and finishes at The White Heather Hotel in Kirkbride, Cumbria, and is best described as one of the flattest marathon courses in the UK - a must for anyone looking for a PB. Quiet country roads take you on a 5 mile loop through Kirkbride and Newton Arlosh and back past the start, where family and friends can cheer you on. The course then heads back out through Kirkbride and on to the Solway Coast, taking in Glasson, Port Carlisle, Bowness on Solway, Cardurnock, Anthorn, Longcroft and back to Newton Arlosh and on to the finish.
Flat, cheap, friendly, low key, exposed to wind. 2019 was their inaugural event. I'd say it was a big success. Not perfect, but pretty close.
* inexpensive inc. free parking
* great marshalling esp. on the aid stations where they shouted asking what you wanted as you approached
* flat - 3 railway bridge crossings and similar bumps, nothing long or more than 3% up
* loads of nibbles at the end, eg bakewell tarts, viennese whirls, caramel shortbread, cheese thins, cookies, jelly babies, mint humbugs
Could do better:
* disorganised making the boys know there was more than just one disabled loo to use - we raised it and it got addressed, but someone could have pro-actively sorted it out sooner
* aid stations only had water, coke and isotonic drink. No food/gels (but this helps keep the cost down)
* the food selection at the end had no salty stuff, often sought after once finished. eg salt and vinegar crisps, maybe peanuts?