Winchester Half Marathon
Winchester, HampshireGuildhall Winchester, The Broadway, Winchester SO23 9GH
Sun 19th September 2021
£5.00 - £70.00
Our COVID-19 Guarantee will provide you peace of mind when entering our events. If national lockdown comes into place, the local area changes tier, or the Government rules change again, we will have plenty of options on offer for you, including a full refund of your entry fee (minus the Active processing fee).
Health and safety is always the utmost priority at our events at all times, and this now includes COVID-19 safety and ensuring that your event is secure. We have been one of the few event organisers who have been able to put on an event during the pandemic – whilst these 2 events were small scale, they were entirely COVID-19 secure and the learnings that we have been able to take from successfully running a safe event during these times has been paramount.
Throughout our event planning we will closely follow advice and guidance from key stakeholders including the local Council, Emergency Services, Medical Director, National Governing Bodies and Government legislation and advice. Our COVID-19 trained Event Directors are working to ensure that we take all appropriate steps to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved in our events.
We are aware that the Government and local guidelines can change very rapidly between now and our event so we are planning for ALL levels of guidelines and restrictions to make sure we are compliant with all COVID-19 regulations at a minimum. We will make sure to update this webpage and send further information directly through to our participants 2-3 weeks ahead of the event date, with final updates and details 48 hours before.
Measures include, but are not limited to the following (all subject to change):
– To help manage flow of runners around the race village and for the staggered start times we will allocate you with a pre-designated entrance to gain access to the race village
– Hand sanitiser stations around event village
– Requirement to wear face coverings (unless exempt) whilst travelling around event village
– One- way flows through the event village
– Reduction / prevention of spectators
– Reduction / removal of bag drop facilities
– There may be reduced runner services at the event (for example removal of massages, baggage etc)
– Potentially implementing waves with staggered start times (this does mean that the starts will take longer than usual, we thank you for your patience)
– Runner guidelines will be issued ahead of the event for reminders of how to stay socially distanced whilst out on the route
– Enhanced hygiene measures at all water stations – with potential to remove these if guidelines / Governing body advice suggests to
– The event will have enhanced medical cover to cater for the most up to date guidance for mass participation events in outdoor spaces
– Your run timing chip is unique to you – from this we are able to see who is on the course at different times. This will assist with NHS Track & Trace details. Please do NOT swap your number or use someone else’s number – this is dangerous at an event in a normal situation (as it means that we don’t have your medical information or emergency contact details), and it is now also going against Track & Trace rules.
– Self-serve style collection of Finisher items such as Finisher tee and your well-earned medal!
Will the event run on the advertised date?
Yes, we still fully expect the event to run on the advertised date in 2021. Should there be a lockdown / our local area moves into Tier 3 closer to the event, then we do have alternative dates throughout the 2021 season to provide opportunities for our participants to still have an event on when it is safe to do so – health and safety is our top priority.
What happens to my money if the event gets cancelled or postponed and I can’t make the new date?
Don’t worry – if our event needs to be postponed or cancelled entirely then we have several options available to you. You will be contacted in advance and all you need to do is let us know your preference so we can action this for you:
1. You can defer for free to the same event on the following year (2022 or even 2023)
2. You can transfer for free to any of our other events (including the ABP Southampton Marathon, Half Marathon or 10k, Winchester Half Marathon, May Day Triathlon or the Southampton Sporterium cycle event) in either 2021 or 2022
3. You can transfer to one of our many virtual events and receive a discount code for the balance that you have paid
4. You can request a refund for your money (minus the Active processing fee).
What if my personal circumstances change and mean I can’t attend the event due to COVID-19?
If you or anyone you have been in contact with (in your household, social bubble or socially distanced meet ups) has been diagnosed with, or is showing symptoms of COVID-19, then please do not attend the event. There are numerous individual scenarios relating to COVID-19 that may affect you on event day including local lockdowns, notification from NHS Track & Trace or self-isolation etc. For this reason, we can’t create a rule for very scenario and ask that if you are unable to attend for individual circumstances (ie. not a local or national lockdown), that you will need to provide us with the relevant proof that you are in self-isolation (e.g. test results or Track & Trace etc). We will be as fair as possible and will make sure there are a variety of options on offer to suit everyone, and still allow us to operate the event.
We wanted to thank our wonderful running community and volunteers – we have had such fantastic support and really appreciate how everyone is pulling together to help us to run a safe and secure event in 2021 – we can’t wait to see you all there on the Start Line!
The Winchester Half Marathon is a very scenic route through the idyllic setting of the countryside that takes in landmarks such as St Catherine’s Hill, Winchester Cathedral and King Alfred the Great.
Why not come and join 2000 other runners at the next fantastic Winchester Half Marathon?
Entry options include the main event, as well as the Childrens Fun Run, or you can also enter the Southampton Half / Winchester Half Double!
Fun Run T-Shirt & Medals too!
The route incorporates the high street, Romsey Road and Sparsholt Road to take the runners into the heart of the Winchester countryside. Towards the end of the route, runners will pass by St Catherine’s Hill, though fortunately not up the hill! The race finishes back outside the Guildhall with a picture perfect view of King Alfred. This is a day for everyone to get involved from athletes, first time runners, charities, corporate teams, and volunteers.
Provided below is a detailed map of all parking in Winchester that will be free on race day. We would advise you don't park in car park labelled M due to road closures, however all other are accessible. We would also recommend trying to park in N, Q, O and P to start to reduce your walk to the start. However, there is only limited parking in these, we would then suggest to try all other RED parking sights before moving onto BLUE.
Race Data, Insight & Analysis
The Winchester Half Marathon is popular with beginners - in the last edition of the race 77% were unaffiliated runners and fun runners, with only 23% Club runners. Despite the high % of fun runners the average finish time at this event is only very slightly slower than the average for UK Half Marathons:
2:03:37 Average Finish Time (all runners) - this is slightly slower (1 min 37 secs) than the average for a UK Half Marathon (2:02:00)
1:58:15 Average Finish Time for men at this event
2:13:47 Average Finish Time for women at this event