Chelmsford, EssexChelmsford CM2 0FQ, UK
Sun 17th October 2021
£32.90 - £47.60
Please note the following changes for the event and please read the codes of conduct below.
1. The first change you will notice is the start time. Rather than a single start time for all runners, we are operating a pre-booking system with start times available in 3-minute slots. People will be allocated a place on the start line according to their anticipated finish time, with the fastest runner lining up on the front of the start line.
2. Please arrive ready to run. There are no changing facilities and no facilities for left baggage – this is in line with UKA Guidelines.
3. A sterile area will be in force around the start line with strictly no access to anybody other than participants and race officials. Once you enter this area you will not be able to leave until your race begins. NO SPECTATORS WILL BE ALLOWED WITHIN THIS STERILE AREA.
4. Again, in line with UKA Guidelines, water, in sealed bottles, will be available at the finish and you will be required to collect it yourself from an unmanned water table – hand sanitiser and gloves will be available for you to use. There will not be a water station on the course. Please dispose of the bottles and other litter in the bins provided.
5. Again, in line with UKA Guidelines, no results, race prizes or awards will be available on the day. Results will be uploaded immediately to our website and emailed to participants. Race and age group winners will receive a trophy in the post after the event. Medals will be available to be collected at the event.
6. There will be toilet facilities at the start / finish area and these will be sanitised regularly. Please play your part by washing your hands thoroughly and using hand sanitiser before and after use.
7. Hand sanitiser will be available – please use it regularly.
8. You must maintain social distancing at all times – before, during and after the race. When overtaking another runner please be mindful of the space available.
9. Spectators are not encouraged to attend – but if they must do so, they should not congregate around the race start or finish areas.
10. Once you finish your race please continue to walk through the finish funnel and return direct to your vehicle – do not wait for friends or family.
11. Please read the Participants and Spectators Code of Conduct - Please observe the ‘Rule of 6’ and do not gather in large groups to discuss the race or take team photos.
Sadly, the 2020 event was cancelled due to Coronavirus but this popular race returns in 2021, with the exciting addition of a new half marathon distance.
The 2021 Marathon event will also incoroporate the Essex Road Running Championships.
This has always been a major fundraising event for Havens Hospices and, because of the pandemic and cancelation of the 2020 race, the 2021 event will carry even more importance.
Your entry will be helping to provide palliative nursing and supportive care to adults, young people and children living with complex or incurable conditions across Essex. This is one of the biggest events in the Essex race calendar and is expected to attract over 1,000 participants, an early entry is advised.
Half Marathon Entry£32.90
Half Marathon Entry£32.90
Technical runner t-shirt
Aid stations on route*
Finish line goodies*
Trophies for winners and leading age categories
Great atmosphere and spectator viewing at the finish
* These are subject to Covid guidelines applying at the time of the race
The Chelmsford Marathon is a 26.2 mile single lap course on road and tarmac paths starting in the city centre and finishing in Central Park. A scenic rural route which heads out through the city and then undulates through the nearby countryside and pretty villages of north Essex. The race has a stunning finish line, down an avenue of autumn trees in Central Park.
On Site Parking
Baggage Drop Off
Race Day Details
Race HQ: Central Park, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 1JJ
Race Start: Shire Hall, City Centre, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 1EH
The Race HQ is in Central Park, which is less than half a mile away from Chelmsford Railway Station in the town centre. Shire Hall, the location of the race start is also a short walk from the station.
You can also access the race by bike and by car.
Ask us a question about this race
Race Data, Insight & Analysis
The Chelmsford Marathon is a very fast race that's popular with both Club Runners (45% of the field) and unaffiliated Runners (55% of the field) - in the last edition of the race the average finish time over 20 minutes faster than the average finish time for a marathon in the UK. Here’s the supporting evidence and more detail of how it compares to other Half Marathons:
4:14:57 Average Finish Time (all runners) - this is much faster (by 22 minutes and 3 seconds) than the average finish time for a UK Marathon (4:37:00)
4:04:18 Average Finish Time for men at this event
4:38:56 Average Finish Time for women at this event
See who else is doing this event