The Betteshanger 10 & 5 mile
An exciting new race at Betteshanger Country Park, near Deal in Kent. Betteshanger is a 121 hectare site of the former Betteshanger colliery in East Kent. The tarmac cycle paths provide an ideal traffic-free race venue and the 10 and 5 mile races are gently undulating in parts and suitable for both experienced and first-time runners.
Betteshanger is totally self-contained and provides the ideal venue for a Covid-safe event. We have successfully developed a number of new procedures which are designed to ensure our races will be Covid-secure and ensure the safety of our runners, staff and the general public.
Please note the following changes for the event and please read the codes of conduct below.
1. The first change you will notice is the start time. Rather than a single start time for all runners, we are operating a pre-booking system with start times available in 3-minute slots. People will be allocated a place on the start line according to their anticipated finish time, with the fastest runner lining up on the front of the start line.
2. Please arrive ready to run. There are no changing facilities and no facilities for left baggage – this is in line with UKA Guidelines.
3. A sterile area will be in force around the start line with strictly no access to anybody other than participants and race officials. Once you enter this area you will not be able to leave until your race begins. NO SPECTATORS WILL BE ALLOWED WITHIN THIS STERILE AREA.
4. Again, in line with UKA Guidelines, water, in sealed bottles, will be available at the finish and you will be required to collect it yourself from an unmanned water table – hand sanitiser and gloves will be available for you to use. There will not be a water station on the course. Please dispose of the bottles and other litter in the bins provided.
5. Again, in line with UKA Guidelines, no results, race prizes or awards will be available on the day. Results will be uploaded immediately to our website and emailed to participants. Race and age group winners will receive a trophy in the post after the event. Medals will be available to be collected at the event.
6. There will be toilet facilities at the start / finish area and these will be sanitised regularly. Please play your part by washing your hands thoroughly and using hand sanitiser before and after use.
7. Hand sanitiser will be available – please use it regularly.
8. You must maintain social distancing at all times – before, during and after the race. When overtaking another runner please be mindful of the space available.
9. Spectators are not encouraged to attend – but if they must do so, they should not congregate around the race start or finish areas.
10. Once you finish your race please continue to walk through the finish funnel and return direct to your vehicle – do not wait for friends or family.
11. Please read the Participants and Spectators Code of Conduct - Please observe the ‘Rule of 6’ and do not gather in large groups to discuss the race or take team photos.
UK Athletics licenced event
Plenty of onsite parking
Prizes for winners and age category winners in the 10 mile
Prizes for winners in the 5 mile
Accurately measured course with a certificate of course accuracy
Chip timing including lap times for both distances
St John Ambulance will be in attendance on the day
The course will be marshalled to provide assistance.
There will be a sweep marshal following the race to ensure that nobody is left behind and that all runners are accounted for.
Race HQ: Betteshanger Country Park (formerly Fowlmead Country Park), Sholden, Deal, Kent CT14 0BF
Betteshanger Country Park is accessible by car, rail - and, of course, on foot and by bike.
The park is accessible by foot via two entrances. The main entrance is off the main roundabout at Shodlen on the A258 Deal to Sandwich Road. The rear gate entrance is a 15 minute walk from Southwall Road, Deal.
For those who wish to drive to the event, the park is located just off the A258 approximately 2 miles from Deal, Kent. It is within 10 miles of the A2 at Whitfield.
Please note that there is a charge for the car park (£3 per day), however, it gives you a full day's parking, so we encourage runners and spectators to make the most of the visit and take a look around the park.
The closest railway stations are Deal and Sandwich. You will then need to get a taxi or cycle to the event.
If you have entered the race in good time, your race number will be sent to you in the post. A full set of race instructions will be sent to you.
If you have entered the race close to the race date, you will need to collect your race number on the day of the event. If you proceed to the registration table, a race official will write down your name and advise you of your race number. You will be asked to sanitise your hands and, if you wish, put on gloves, before collecting your number from a storage box on the desk. Please remember to social distance from the race official and anybody else who is collecting a number. A race official will manage any queues to ensure everybody remains socially distanced.
Please note that you will not be able to enter on the day due to the new guidelines. Entries are available online until midnight before the event.
The 5 mile race takes in a two lap course, with the 10 mile runners completing 4 laps around the tarmac paths within Betteshanger Country Park. Run along the purpose-built cycling track, this route is free of traffic, flat and fast.
Your individual time and position will be recorded by your electronic chip. Results will be calculated on Chip Time. Live results will be uploaded to www.nice-work.org.uk as soon as possible after the race. All entrants that have supplied a valid and legible email address will receive a copy of the results as soon as possible after the race.
First-hand event reviews from people who’ve been there, done that and got the breathable T-shirt, really help everyone choose their next event.
Write a review and you’ll be entered into a monthly draw to win a pair of running shoes of your choice from Pro:Direct Running.