Run the Wild Technical Series - Navigation Essentials
Ever got fed up with doing extra distance in a race because you took the wrong turn?! Always just following the people ahead of you? Or maybe you just want to get to grips with map reading. In this series we will be teaching you navigation methods, as well as practical tips of how to stay on the right path in wild areas of the UK and Europe. We all hear far too often of people getting lost in the hills, either in races or just indeed on leisurely hikes. Even a GPS has limited capacity in route finding, but with the right knowledge you can be the ultimate GPS!
On this morning workshop you will be taught the essentials of navigating with a map by a qualified International Mountain Leader and Gold Duke of Edinburgh Assessor. Once you've learnt some of the basics in a classroom environment, we move onto the trails to test your knowledge on the trails.
The event is easily accessible, just 40 minutes North West of London by rail or road and there is free on-site parking for all runners.
Individual Entry 3 mile navigation workshop£35 CLOSED
THE RUN THE WILD COVID-19 REFUND GUARANTEE:
At Run the Wild we are passionate about getting you out onto the trails. If you book directly with us on any of our trips after the 1st May 2020, and if Run the Wild have to cancel or postpone a trip due to COVID-19 government restrictions, you can either postpone your place free of charge or receive a full refund. This is in addition to our Terms & Conditions.
We are following current UK Government guidelines in delivering trail running trips. They are conducted in line with England Athletics guidelines to ensure your safety. In addition, you will need to carry with you (not wear) on all of our trips until further notice a vapour resistant face mask (we will have these for sale for £2 if you arrive without one) and personal alcohol-based hand gel as well as adhering to current social distancing guidelines.
All UK events are held in the outdoors with no requirement to be indoors at any time. All clients are asked to confirm they are exhibiting no symptoms prior to coming to a Run the Wild event, and are required to carry a vapour resistant face mask (checked on arrival), and hand gel. All participant contact details are recorded which can be shared upon request with the government’s Test and Trace initiative. All guides carry a mask and hand sanitisers, and have been briefed on COVID-19 protocols in case of an emergency situation where the administering of first aid is required. In line with England Athletics guidance, and the provision of a COVID-19 secure environment, groups will be limited to a maximum of 12 clients per run leader/coach or when relevant will reflect any changes to the guidelines. We typically operate at a much lower guide to client ratio than this limit. These precautions will enable the continued safe running of our trips, thank you.
What we ask of you, the client:
- Please do not attend any of our trips if you are displaying any COVID-19 symptoms, or if someone in your household is and requires you to self-isolate.
- Ensure you carry a vapour resistant face mask and personal alcohol-based hand gel, as you run.
- Please remain in your vehicle until you are asked to meet your run guide.
- Adhere to current social distancing guidelines before, during and after your run, with regards to other runners, and other trails users and members of the public.
- Good hygiene must be practised at all times. This includes bringing your own hand sanitiser, keeping the touching of gates to an absolute minimum, and a strict policy of no spitting while running.
- Please check your local government guidelines in regards to travel, public transport and overnight accommodation.
Instruction on navigation by qualified instructor
Theory and practical instruction
What's not included:
Travel to / from Musette's Aldbury
Food & Drinks
You will need to arrange your own transport to the start of the adventure in Aldbury, but there are regular trains from London Euston to Tring Station, which take around 40 minutes, and it's only a short walk to the meeting point.
There is also an onsite free car park should you prefer to drive.
Musette Cafe, Church Farm, Station Rd, Aldbury, Tring HP23 5RS
The event will start at 9am and will finish around midday (full details in your booking pack).
- Face mask
- Hand sanitiser
- Wicking top and shorts or leggings
- Socks (eg: Injinji)
- Trail running shoes (sufficient tread)
WEATHER DEPENDENT ITEMS:
- Lightweight waterproof jacket
- Sun hat / cap
- Warm hat and gloves
- Fully Charged Mobile Phone including the numbers for the Lead Runners, Event Director as well as appropriate emergency services (charge before use and make sure it's in a waterproof case or bag)
- Lightweight, comfortable running pack (max 12 litres)
- Water Bottles / Bladder
- Snacks to sustain you for the planned route
- Waterproof bags / dry bags to keep stuff dry
- Whistle (normally found attached to your bag)
- Personal first aid kit (eg: blister packs, sunscreen, inhaler etc)
Please note: we will not be checking your kit on the day, but we highly recommend you bring these items for your safety.
This 3 mile navigation workshop is open to all abilities - runners and walkers alike.
First-hand event reviews from people who’ve been there, done that and got the breathable T-shirt, really help everyone choose their next event.
Write a review and you’ll be entered into a monthly draw to win a pair of running shoes of your choice from Pro:Direct Running.